Kyle's NICU Story in Pictures

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

can you believe it?---john

First off,... can you believe that I am blogging again? Yes, this is the fist blog post I have posted since the NICU,... I had my reasons at the time,... but on today,... well-- I felt the necessity to get on here and be thankful.

I didn't expect last year about this time in the am that we would in just a few short hours meet kyle for the first time...after all, we were only 23 weeks and 4 days along,... who would have thought?  But, nevertheless, we did get to meet him... all 1 pound 3 ounces of him.

While he was not totally ready yet to meet us- he was still perfect.  perfect in every way.  10 micro fingers, .... 10 micro toes,... little finger nails and eyebrows,... perfect.

We listened to every doctor and every nurse very carefully.  The outcome looked incredibly grim--overwhelmingly horrific really.  Statistics and science were NOT on our side.  The only intervention would be God and God alone.  Medicine is great-don't get me wrong,... the practice
of applied sciences based largely on grand ideas and hypothesis but tested over time and proven in most cases to be beneficial to prolong or help life along, however,... This,... Kyle,... he was a different story.  Science and Medicine wasn't quite there yet.  Even though it had happened before,... kids made it out of this at such a young birthage and birthweight,... it was still less than 1% chance.

Enter the power of the holy spirit-- Enter the healing power and saving power of God.

I thank God for the life He not only has given Kyle, but for the incredible journey we have been on over the past year.  We have seen God do the supernatural before our eyes.  Kyle is doing AMAZING!  

I thank my wife for being so amazing with our kids and so amazing with Kyle.
I thank our family for being steady and assuring.  I thank so many of our closest friends who have stood by us through so so so much! I thank so many of the doctors, nurses, nurse practitioners that we grew so fond of and miss terribly.  I thank you who have prayed and continued to pray and keep up with Kyle and us--even when we aren't so good at keeping up with you.... (sorry!)

This last year has been a roller coaster...

we have made new friends and sadly lost some along the way I think due to the stress of it all,... but I will say,... I would do it all over again.  It is totally worth it to be able to know God in a way that most people choose not to believe,... and It is totally worth it in every way to have all 3 of my boys.

Kyle today is officially 1 year old!  WOW! 

God is so good.

I hope I haven't left anything/anyone out... but know this,... we are thankful and humbled on this day. 

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Kyle!!! I am praising God with you. What an amazing testimony that Kyle has. It has been a joy to pray for your family and will continue to do so.
Kim

Anonymous said...

OH HAPPY DAY ! ! ! I'm so excited to say THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL DAY -1- because this is the day the Lord has made, but -2- because this is (& always will be) a day to rejoice the life of Baby Kyle!!! I believe I have learned alot about the power of prayer & community from this experience...THANK YOU LORD for growing my faith & for the Sherrills strength & courage to stay faithful to You through this past year.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY KYLE ! ! !
AND MANY MORE . . .
Abundant blessings ~
Granmammy Barbie
Barbie Weller - Irving TX

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KYLE! GOD HAS WORKED SO MUCH IN MY VERY OWN LIFE THROUGH THIS BLOG. THE POWER OF OUR LORD IS AMAZING AND I LOVE TO READ YOUR STORY TO SEE WHAT ALL HE CAN AND WILL DO!
JOHN AND KELLY, THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR BEAUTIFUL FAMILY AND THE JOURNEY YOU HAVE AND WILL CONTINUE GOING THROUGH. MAY GOD CONTINUE TO WORK IN THE LIVES OF OTHERS THROUGH YOUR PRECIOUS FAMILY AND BLESSING YALL AS WELL.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

happy birthday kyle!

Chris & AnnMarie said...

Happy Birthday sweet baby boy! We love you guys!

Nikki said...

What an amazing story. I praise God for your family and especially for the miracle of Kyle. Happy Birthday!!!

God's many blessings to you all,
Nikki in CT (formerly of Denver, friend of Becky's)

Tabaitha said...

Happy Birthday Kyle! It seems like yesterday I was following your story and praying my heart out for you and your family. Today is a beautiful day.

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday Kyle!

Unknown said...

Hey there Kelly and John! Praise our mighty and wonderful God for this day! Happy Birthday Kyle! I am so thankful to God that He gave you to your Mommy and Daddy and that I have had the privilege of praying for you this past year. I cannot wait for the day when I see you, Kyle running down the hallway at SonKids. I love you Kyle!!!

Much Love and Prayers,
Tracey H.

Anonymous said...

PRAISE GOD!!

Natalie said...

Happy Birthday, Kyle!!!

Tears filled my eyes as I read this post and thought back to the day I got the e-mail telling me about the situation with Kyle and to pray.

It's so incredible to look back and see how God moved in the situation and how He has been glorified through Kyle's story!

Thank you so much for allowing so many of us to share in this journey with you. You all continue to remain in my prayers and I celebrate with you today and will be thinking about you and Thanking God for Kyle and what He has done through Him.

Much Love & Many Hugs,

Natalie

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday, Kyle! I found this blog several days after Kyle was born and was immediately drawn to the little lion. My son, Max, was born at 26 weeks and did not suffer some of the same things Kyle did, but I can so remember those feelings and emotions that Kelly would write about - so, so scared and feeling like there's nothing you can do for your child (well, except spend hours upon hours in the pumping room :)

So, HAPPY BIRTHDAY KYLE!!! He is a cutie pie and looks absolutely great. You must be such proud parents! Can't wait to see birthday cake on the face pictures!

P.S. Today is also my birthday so I feel like Kyle and I have a bond! :))

Anonymous said...

I think the only thing left to say, other than HAPPY BIRTHDAY! is what Ps.146 says.."Praise the Lord O my soul! Do not trust in princes, in mortal man...how blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord his God, who made heaven and earth...Praise the Lord!" With so much love to your precious family.
Debbie Keil

Life as a Mom said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Kyle! Thanks Mom & Dad for sharing your journey...what a blessing you are!
xoxo in Him

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kyle! Praise God-He is so amazing! We have never, never stopped praying and thinking of you. John and Kelly, you are awesome parents and true witnesses of courage, true faith and love. It took alot for you to bear your fears and difficulties this past year to so many but you did it with such honesty, always giving praise thru the storm. What a blessing to us all!Thank you and may you all enjoy the celebration!
love,
katy and steve

mandy said...

happy birthday, kyle. God sure had victory in mind when he knit you together! we praise Him for what He has done.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Oh my goodness guys! Tears to my eyes, i'm so proud of you little lion. What a road, and what a story. Love you guys! All praise be to God who's glory shines through each of you.

Anonymous said...

Praise God! Hope this special day is wonderful for all of you!

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday, Kyle! Still keeping you guys in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

OMG Happy bday Kyle!!!! You guys are a great family!
Stefanie

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Kyle!
My Sunday School class (of grade-school kids) has kept you in our prayers since we first heard of you last November. We are looking forward to the Day when we will all meet. Lots of love from Driscoll Boulevard Baptist Church Children's Department, Spokane, Washington.
Bill Reber (and about 17 kids!)

Holliday Family said...

WHAT AN AMAZING JOURNEY, AN AMAZING FAMILY. AND AN AWESOME GOD. Happy Happy happy Birthday Kyle!

Amanda said...

that is so awesome! happy birthday (4 days later) Kyle!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!

I cannot believe that it has been a year since I walked John in to see his little baby for the first time. You guys are awesome parents and I'm so happy for you all! I'm grateful to have been able to take care of Kyle in the NICU and to become close to you both. He is beautiful!!

Carrie said...

Happy belated birthday baby Kyle! What an amazing testimony of God's great love! So happy for you all!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Kyle! What an amazing year. When I began praying for Kyle, like I had never prayed before, I had no idea that during that year I also would be praying for my own 39 year old child...that God would spare his life and get him through the horrific cancer journey facing him. Thanks to your testimony of faith and courage and hope, God taught me so much and gave me the same faith and hope. Now we are celebrating Kyle's first birthday and my son, Ken, is recovering from the ravages of cancer and the treatments that followed. Praise God for bringing our children this far and teaching us so much in the process. God is good!
Love you guys!
Lylabeth King

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kyle, what a miracle you are!!

Click below to go to my Personal March of Dimes Page

Our Story

This story begins with 5 people. John, Kelly, Jadon, Jack, and Kyle (he is only 23 weeks old... and he is still safely tucked away in his mommy's belly) In an hour's time Kyle made his way into the world. 1 pound, 3 ounces- 11 and a half inches long. This family will never be the same. This child is a warrior. He has the spirit of a Lion, and more courage than a whole pride. He is fierce, and fearless- and he is teaching us to fear the Lord- and to believe that God is in our midst and healing even now. Join us as pray, as we praise, and as we journey through this life as lovers of God and all His glory.

Kyle is in the March of Dimes Promo!