Kyle's NICU Story in Pictures

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Roar of a Lion - Kelly

Well - as most of you read I got to Kangaroo care the other day and I have been so exhausted at night I have not blogged about this yet but I really wanted to - so here it goes!

Holding Kyle is amazing - just exactly like when they handed me Jadon and Jack for the first time and I was able to look them over and notice all the amazing details in the way God knit them together. I can't exactly look kyle over - he has zero percent body fat right now and so he has to stay under blankets and against my chest - but I can hold him, smell him, feel him and for now - THAT IS AMAZING.

This last time he did really great - not big desaturations and we were able to hang out there for about one and a half hours. It was wonderful. John is supposed to get his turn soon!

John and I refer to Kyle as our little lion - The affection comes from the hope given to me just after he was born. It begins with my best friend (inseparable since we were 12). I had been talking with her on the way to my doctors appointment - If I am honest I was complaining about how I might not be able to go work out that day if I was having back pain! (dumb!) so after I spoke to my doctor I called her back and told her i would have to deliver at 23 weeks getstation - I was terrified and she blurted out instantly "Kelly, he is going to be okay - he will make it". She didn't know it but spoke hope into my soul. Next I spoke to another friend - My soul friend; my sister. After I told her that our baby was going to be born too soon - 4 months too soon she could not contain her emotions - and as she pleaded with God to show her what was going on - the Lord gave her a picture of a caged little lion trying to get out - he just could not wait. I went into this time in my life with that picture. As she crossed the ocean to get here she asked the Lord to explain the picutre and He gave her Psalm 34. In vs 10 the passage says that even a young lion might go hungry BUT the hope comes in as those who trust in the Lord will lack no good thing. There are SO many promises in this text - I would REALLY encourage you to go and read it. fast forward to the night when my dear friend took a break from my sleeping children to come and pray with me. All 3 of us were having a time of intercession for Kyle. When she prayed she spoke of Kyle as having the spirit of a King. When we were done praying the other friend opened her journal to show us a piece of a song that she wrote on her flight over here that spoke of Kyle having the spirit of a King. The confirmations from the God of the whole world, through my very own friends pierced my heart and buried hope in a place that would soon fight desperation, fear, lonliness, and sorrow. So out of hope comes the affection - our little lion.

so back to kangaroo care - you have heard us speak of a leak in kyle's vent. This forces air to rush past his vocal chords and makes a squeeking sound. and if you have ever heard a little lion learning to roar (or have ever watched The Loin King) - they make this sort of sqeeking sound.

So as I held him there listening to that rythmic squeeking I couldn't help but to be reminded of how one day this little lion is going to stand up and ROAR! and all at once I was flooded with what so many of you (Brandon) had been exclaiming - who exactly I was praying to - this is the God that sent food from the sky, made a blind man see, a lame man walk, parted a sea for his people to walk across, rose a man from the dead, calmed an entire raging see. He has promised to restore us. He is the healer, He is the creator, He is my father!

We will shout from the mountain tops of the goodness of our GOD!!!!

Thanksgiving Day was tough - but then again giving thanks sometimes is. However we are thankful for Kyle and for his progress. We are thankful for our Jadon and Jack. We are thankful for all of you as you read, PRAY, and support Kyle and our family.

Please continue to fervently ask God to heal Kyle's brain - to cause the blood to reabsorb into his body perfectly and for the spinal fluid to be able to flow perfectly. Pray for Kyle's lungs to get bigger and stronger and healthier. Ask God to continue protecting his belly and whole gut - keeping it healthy and accepting food. We ask God to grow him and mature him. We ask that God would supernaturally close his PDA - the heart valve. Medicine has not worked. Pray for God to heal Kyle from the infections he has and for constant protection from others.

and one more thing - please continue to give God all the glory for Kyle's life! Share his story and let others know that our God is our savior and healer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great testimony to God's mercy and his greatness! I pray you all have another good day. I am confident that you will have MANY more to come! Thanks for sharing.

Still praying, still believing and still EXPECTING Kyle to be healed!

Candy Humber

Anonymous said...

i love you people and thank God for you.

Click below to go to my Personal March of Dimes Page

Our Story

This story begins with 5 people. John, Kelly, Jadon, Jack, and Kyle (he is only 23 weeks old... and he is still safely tucked away in his mommy's belly) In an hour's time Kyle made his way into the world. 1 pound, 3 ounces- 11 and a half inches long. This family will never be the same. This child is a warrior. He has the spirit of a Lion, and more courage than a whole pride. He is fierce, and fearless- and he is teaching us to fear the Lord- and to believe that God is in our midst and healing even now. Join us as pray, as we praise, and as we journey through this life as lovers of God and all His glory.

Kyle is in the March of Dimes Promo!